Monday, November 29, 2010

The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people”


Well, I have been to public boarding school in Uganda and to break it down nicely, this is where hunger goes to flourish. Especially a month in the semester, then hunger really comes out to play. I have had my own share of near starvation back in the day and I really thought those days were gone.....up until yesterday.
I skipped dinner on sunday night because I was really really dog tired. So I opted for some good quality rest.....which I really got. Woke up early morning not feeling quite hungry so I took my time freshening up and getting ready for work,which meant I ended up skipping breakfast too. We have this little scheme a work where one person buys the whole office breakfast and i knew damn well it wasn't going to be me for obvious reasons.....abject poverty! Its the end of the month,im waiting for pay day.lol. Anyways, it appears everyone seems to be sailing in the same boat as I am so technically everyone seemes to be avoiding the breakfast issue. I did yell out a few times but never did get even a single response. I had to be mature enough to sense that times were tough on everyone, plus I now desperately needed to start saving some energy.
It wasn't really helping that it was an extremely busy day. Even sneaking out for lunch became a mission impossible and then the beast part of the day rolled through. We had a meeting with some big shot CEO at 3:30pm. I drove like a mad man and we did make it there in time but on extremely empty stomachs. Forget boot camp and all, the true test of a man is to see him at his hungriest. You can't really suprise a hungry man, they could snap your neck like a twig.
Well, I am hoping I never become a big shot CEO because i am paying back for yesterday's experience. This guy had us wait for an hour and 28 minutes......yes, I was counting every minute. By this time I was seething.....in both hunger and anger. I cant lie, I nearly lost my cool. First of all, my workmates all kept busy on their blackberries and htcs. I don't think I have ever hated my dear old little Nokia that much. I tried to fiddle with it for a while but I figured the best thing to do was put it away before I flung it against the wall.........and put it away I did.

Eventually, we did get to meet the guy. Needless to say, I knew it wasn't a good idea for me to go for this meeting n the first place. As soon as he started speaking, the little light in my mind just shut off. I literally said five words for the whole hour meeting. Not because I was not interested....which is true but because I could have so easily jumped across that board table and screamed gibberish in his ear. I maintained my cool and waited for the damn meeting to end and THANK GOD it eventually did.
Drove back to office, grabbed my laptop jumped on a boda boda(taxi motorbike) went home and raided the  fridge like a college kid on some serious munchies and all I could think of was the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote that goes......"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so;but we ask the reason of all evil,of pain,and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people" And yes....I did experience alot of all that yesterday but as always, human beings never seem to learn. After pigging out on everything I could lay my hands on, I was too stuffed that I went straight to bed,missed dinner again and also happened to skip breakfast this morning..........here comes another interesting day but also with it comes a very big possibility that I might do jail time for reasons that might stem from anyone who tries to interrupt my lunch break.
Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment